Sunday 4 August 2013

Review: The Accidental Sorcerer by K.E. Mills

Funny, witty, exciting and original are the words that come to mind when I think about this book. The Accidental Sorcerer is the first book in the Rogue Agent series, written by K.E. Mills, which is a pseudonym of Karen Miller. The book is about a bad wizard who goes through an event that changes him and the change makes him very dangerous.

Source: google images

     "What can be imagined, can be created." 
                                         - Lional 
  The Accidental Sorcerer. K.E Mills.Chapter fifteen, page 260, Published by Orbit. 

When I started the book, I was quite surprised to discover that the story took place in a modern world. I have mostly read fantasy set in medieval like settings, so this was something new for me. While I really enjoyed the book, I felt their was a lacking of worldbuilding. I have absolutely no clue how modern the society is, nor what the exact limitations of magic are. Because of the latter, I have questioned quite a few things in the book. The author's writing style is very fluent and engaging, a real pleasure to read. The characters are memorable and they feel very real, which I find very important. My favourite character was Reg. I love her sarcasm and her witty comments.

I never had the feeling that the book was slow, but the actually plot only starts to reveal itself at the middle of the book or, perhaps even beyond it. The first part of the book seems to have the sole purpose to be funny and introducing the main character, Gerald. While the humour is often good, sometimes there was just too much of it. The second half of the book is more action packed. There was a very interesting plot-twist that I had not expected at all. It was not a great book, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I will most likely read the other books in the series as well, because I am curious about Gerald's fate and I would not mind reading more about Reg!

Thus I give the book a 3/5 stars.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment